Chicken Wings with Spiced Aioli
Makes 6 to 8 appetizer servings
3 tablespoons Ayala N.16 spice blend
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
2 tablespoons honey
2½ pounds chicken wings
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon Ayala N.16 spice blend
¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
2 tablespoons finely chopped garlic
1 roasted red pepper, seeded and chopped
1 tablespoon plus 1½ teaspoons honey
½ cup mayonnaise
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Marinate the wings: In a mixing bowl, whisk 3 tablespoons of Ayala spice blend with the olive oil, lemon juice and honey. Add the chicken wings and toss to coat with the marinade. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.
2. Make the aioli: In a skillet, heat olive oil over low heat. Add the Ayala spice, blend red pepper flakes and garlic and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the roasted pepper and honey and cook for 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat and let cool.
3. Place the mayonnaise in the bowl of a food processor or blender and add the cooled vegetable mixture. Process until smooth and season to taste with salt and pepper.
4. Preheat the oven to 425°. Line a rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil. Spread the chicken wings on the prepared baking sheet and roast for 15 minutes, then turn over and roast for 15 minutes longer or until the wings are golden brown and cooked through. Serve with the aioli for dipping.
1. Brush halved radicchio heads with oil, sprinkle with Ayala and quickly char on a grill or grill pan.
2. Toss with sliced radishes, olive oil and lemon juice for a quick salad.
Photography by Thomas Schauer.